Update on day one of the creation of new maternity fashion site, Mummywear Maternity.
Today I have re-jigged the holding page, tweaking the layout slightly. I’ve also signed up for a new Google account for Mummywear and added the latest Google Analytics code to the website. I wanted to get a good web statistics package in place from the very outset, and although for simpler sites I am a strong proponent of Statcounter, Google analytics would seem to provide many of the tools required for more complex marketing analysis. I’m also considering the use of some ppc (pay-per-click) advertising at some future point, and there are useful integration tools within Google Analytics which I’d like to explore. I’ll blog in greater depth on the subject of Google Analytics when I have some feedback on how effective a marketing tool I find it.
I’ve also been doing some fairly intensive reading around the subject of affiliate marketing online, and have been further investigating competing sites in my niche. One thing I am keen to find out is whether or not I need to develop an information-rich site before I approach potential new retailers.
Next tasks also include:
- Creation of a favicon and perhaps a standalone logo.
- Investigation into whether Joomla/Virtuemart, Magento, or another platform represent the correct content management system for the site.
- Mocking up a site layout and getting some feedback on design/colour scheme/navigation.
- Installation of CMS.
- Checking which Affiliate Programmes I currently have relationships with – I’ve signed up for a couple but without going any further in terms of marketing or development – offer suitable retailers.
- Making a list of target retailers.
- Signing up to new affiliate sites.
- Developing content for the site in terms of original articles and web copy, suitable topics for blogging and useful tools or applications. I like the idea of a newsletter for expectant mothers, date predictors, links to baby name sites and so on.
- Generating some income by making that first sale.
More tomorrow I hope.